Saturday, November 26, 2005

Free... Like A Bird

While quoting that John Lennon song, I remembered another song which I absolutely loved. It's Nelly Furtado's Like A Bird. When that song came out I enjoyed it so much. It's one of those I used to put on repeat. Here's some of the lyrics:

"You're beautiful... but it's not for sure that I won't ever change... You don't know me that well... It's not that I wanna say goodbye, it's just that... each and every single day I know I'm gonna have to eventually give you away. And though my love is rare, and though my love is true... I'm like a bird, I only fly away."

I value my freedom much, but, I used to think this was achieved by making an exit on the outside... and really, freedom is achieved inside. No matter what is going on, the way you look at things, the way you feel, what you interpret of your reality- that's what's going to make you feel imprisoned or liberated. Like everything else, it's up to the viewer, the owner of each life. So, I'm still like a bird, seeking freedom, but now if I fly away it's because I'm letting go of something that's no longer good or convenient in my life, but not because I would escape. The flying away means something different now. It's about leaving those things that would hinder my true liberation, my real lasting happiness.

Something I've heard in Yoga philosophy:
If it's convenient for me, I want it.
If it's not convenient, I don't want it.

Simple. And even when maintaining good things, you gotta know when to let go if you want to be truly blissful. For the millionth time, attachment ain't love! :)

Note to self:
Compassion, Indulgence, Honesty, Calmness, & Self-Control

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

michelle! true, true, true!

ya con eso lo digo todo!...


yami

Libélula said...

I think that too...sometimes we mistake attachment with love. The healthy thing to do is to let go. If you can, read this. I wrote it when I knew it was time for me to finally let go.

http://natyland.blogspot.com/2005/11/letting-go.html

Ciao!