Monday, February 27, 2006

Sister Blister

So many women play competitive games with each other... why? What real lasting happiness does that really provide? Perhaps a momentary ego high of an illusion of defeating another in an imaginary game. But even that is not real satisfaction, because it vanishes when the situation is gone- and no situation lasts forever, so it is only time before that fake high becomes a face slapping low. Anyway, there really is no defeat because no one really gets to own anyone. Men and women come together, men and women grow apart, and life goes on.

"Is something wrong, she said. Well, of course there is."

I used to love playing that game, though, I'll admit it. I was one of those with shrewd strategy. I used to get such a kick out of that waste of time. But I quit. So if you try to play with me, you'll wind up getting really, really disapppointed. I decided to use my time to find out what really makes me happy. And it surely isn't making a female feel lessened because of a really stupid game, which really leads to emptiness and wondering why with your hands so full of men you still feel empty handed. That's not where the key to joy lies, girls, we all know that. If it did, that game wouldn't even exist since we wouldn't have to fight for boys' attention. How about giving each other a little more importance?

"It's not what I was seeking... It suddenly feels empty." -The Cranberries

I am no longer filling out that registration form, thank you. Whatever I share with men are experiences that help me grow, not what makes me feel important, and they're not for show.

The following lines are a bit of the lyrics of a song called Sister Blister.

sister blister we fight to please the brothers
we think their acceptance is how we win
they're happy we're climbing over each other
to beg the club of boys to let us in

we may not have priorities same
we may not even like each other
we may not be hugely anti-men
but such a cost to dishonor a sister

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post -- made me think of lyrics penned by Meg White of The White Stripes:

"Women, listen to your mothers. Don't just succomb to the wishes of your brothers. Take a step back, take a look at one another. You have to know the difference between a father and a lover."

Not exactly what you were getting at, but I think it compliments your sentiments a bit.

Anonymous said...

I think only women can really get this post.