Friday, July 01, 2005

All That Jazz


I just got back from one of those dates with myself, not by myself, and it was absolutely wonderful. I went to a jazz concert. I don't know, I must have some jazz players' genes in my veins, or maybe some direct link to that music in a previous lifetime because judging by this one only I can't logically pinpoint where it comes from. I just enjoy it so!

But the awesomeness began before the concert, while they were playing some music while people were getting to their seats... The first song that was played was... sung by me! That was sooo cool. I hadn't heard it in years. It's called Agua (Water.) I didn't write it, some friends of mine did, I recorded the vocals. It won First Prize in the Pop Category of Casa de Teatro's music contest. I forget which year... 2001? Anyway, that was a nice touch. I went there to watch a band all the way from New Orleans, and first I got to hear myself.

So, onto jazz. The featuring artist tonight? The Original Dixieland Jazz Band which was started in the early 1900s by Nick LaRocca and was passed down to the founder's son, Jimmy LaRocca, who continues its tradition today. This band, in its original generation, is said to be the father of jazz. (Jazz's mother got into a lot of trouble, apparently.) We got to hear classics such as Fidgety Feet (I looove it), Livery Stable Blues, and Tie the Rag. Newer songs written by the ODJB new generation leader Jimmy were also played. I really favor They Rigged the Joint, in which LaRocca not only gracefully blew into that trumpet, but entertained us with some Louis Armstrong-ish vocals.

This I got from the band's site:

"If you know your jass/jazz history then you know that Nick LaRocca and the ODJB was responsible for introducing this music (new at the time) to millions of listeners back in 1917 with the first recording of jass. You should also know that this group (ODJB) was responsible for securing the word jazz as a musical definition term as it applies to music today. This was an incredible accomplishment and the ODJB should be held with the highest respect and considered to be one of the most (if not the most) innovative and inspirational musical group of the 20th century."

Nick, I am deeply grateful.

No comments: